Saturday, December 12, 2020

Christmas decorations

 hanging baubles

one after another

memories with mom
--Cezar Florescu 

A very bittersweet haiku.  I read it as the mother has passed implied by the poet reminiscing about her.  Line 2 works as a pivot like a zeugma between Lines 1 and 3 so it can be read as 'hanging baubles one after another' and 'one after another memories with mom'.  I can read it as a general reminiscing of my mother as I hang Christmas decorations on the Christmas tree or imagine with each light or Christmas ball as I search for a place to hang them my mind flits to different memories of this season with her.  I also think about the smattering of family heirloom decorations or made by me or my siblings as children saved by my mother, literal memories now hung on my tree.  I like the word choice "baubles" it has a nice analogy to memories as sparkling gems.  My only reservation about baubles is would I have know they were Christmas decorations if I hadn't already known they were this contest theme and I can't unknow it to be sure.  But with the clues in the phrasing and that Christmas is often reminisced I think I would have known.

Review by Michael Baribeau

The Theme of this kukai was Christmas Decorations




Full Results HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment